Saturday, March 15, 2008

How to search for "lost books" in your on-line inventory.

Whenever I have a hard time finding a book in my inventory...I quickly assume that there is something "tricky" about this book.

It's "hiding" from me for some reason.

I just finished a longish search for a large tradepaper book that I "knew" had a black cover...

OK? So I "assumed" it had a black spine as well....

I even looked up a picture of the book on line...Ebay is best for this because almost every seller uses photos in their listings.

Still no luck...

So I assume that the book is tricking me somehow...

Then I drop back to the technique of literally touching each book as I "scan" it visually.

For some reason this use of an "extra sense" helps me focus and avoid the "error" of visual scanning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Result:

Yes the book had a black cover...and it was reasonable to assume that the spine was also black...which of course is the only thing I can see on the bookshelf

BUT IT WASN'T!

The spine was white!!

An all black book...suddenly has an all white spine. Go Figure.

Anyhow. Bottom Line.

If a book is "hiding"....

Get the ISBN and go to Ebay or Addall or ABE and look the book up. Look for a picture and also the books dimensions.

And even then DON'T just assume that a black book has a black spine!

It may be white...because if your mind is Hell bent on "finding" a black spine on the book?

You're not going to find that book!

Until you get rid of preconcived notions on what you're really looking for... Always a problem.